30 July, 2010

DC debriefed


It was off to DC last weekend for a visit with Kristin in her final month before the big delivery!  Baby Nora is expected the end of August, and she couldn't have been a more beautiful mom-to-be.  Miss Shyra joined us; I've known her since 6th grade and the three of us were college roommates at CSU.

A brief synopsis of the DC weekend...

A lovely little yoga class at Flow Yoga Center.  It was more of a bootcamp, with hand weights and bands, done on a yoga mat, with a few downward dog and child poses.  No heavy breathing or Namaste here; this was a real workout.  And the chocolate wafers and green tea were a nice touch, of course...

One (or two, or three) stops at FroZen Yo to beat the heat.  It was self-serve; a brilliant concept that I might just do something about...  My favorite was peanut butter yogurt, topped with strawberries, blueberries , a few gummy bears and an itsy bitsy scoop of peanut butter cup.  And the hot fudge was free, so...

An hour of pool and sun and big umbrellas at the Hilton.  Who knew sneaking into a hotel pool was so easy...  No fence jumping required!

Sunday brunch at The Heights, located in Kristin's Columbia Heights neighborhood.  The manager approached our table to compliment my wedges, hung around like he had something to say (nothing came out) and then chased us down to hand me his card as we made our exit.  He didn't want to miss the moment; quite a bold move that I find very attractive.  He, however, was not, although the girls said he'd make a very nice Latin lover...

Post-pool, and pre-pedicure, at DC favorite, Tryst, we sipped iced lattes and noshed on nachos and corn bread bites.  From our spot at the counter, I watched the barista craft every cup on his La Marzocco espresso machine and stole glances at the boy with long blonde hair and motorcycle (scooter, perhaps) helmut.  It was simply divine.

Kristin treated us to her a la fish taco dinner.  I polished off the first two and couldn't resist the third, even after I swore to save it for later, aka, midnight snack.  We watched my new favorite movie, A Single Man, and ate homemade gluten-free brownies.  This was a mini-vacation, so any hint of my regular veggie and hard boiled egg diet stayed home in Denver.  And it's true, hips don't lie.

And just like the locals, and visiting boy scout troops and families of four with fanny packs, we traveled via the Metro.  My hand sanitizer was put to good use, as you can imagine...

While Kristin worked, Shyra and I roamed the halls of the National Portrait Gallery at the Smithsonian and ate egg scrambles at Open City.  Once again, another prime seat to view another long haired blonde guy enjoy his Tuesday morning coffee...

A rainstorm ensued so we made a mad dash into Peregrine Espresso for an iced Americano and Indian Sunset espressos.  The flavor was rather Indian; definitely an acquired taste, but one I love!  What we really wanted was that stuffed ginger snap cookie from the case...


A few snapshots...

Kristin & Shyra

A must.  And free, ta boot!

The pickins' for the pregnant lady...

Nuff said...

An Indian Sunset espresso...

If (art on the) walls could talk, he'd tell Obama to take a hike..

I hope I look this good 8 months along...

My boy jeans!

I love these ladies!



      

2 comments:

  1. So much fun! Lets do it again... next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great news: self serve fro yo is indeed here in denver metro. try cherry creek's yogurt guru- you can recreate your favorite dc treat :) and what does it say about me that i have the same shirt your prego friend has, and she looks better in it than i do?

    ReplyDelete